On the Internet you can find various articles and discussions on how a protein diet provides fast weight loss.
Is Diet Protein The Key To Sustainable Weight Loss? Is a protein diet effective at home for weight loss?
The essence and principles of the protein diet
Let's first look at what a protein diet is. It is, as the name suggests, based on a high protein intake with a low percentage of fat and carbohydrates in the diet. With the elimination of carbohydrates from the menu, the body enters a state of ketosis, which is characterized by an increased level of ketone bodies in the blood (toxic substances).
Ketosis can also occur in uncontrolled diabetes or in a healthy person, for example after prolonged fasting, leading to the depletion of glycogen, resulting in the energy source from proteins or, better, fat in the body.
3 phases of the protein diet
The protein diet is divided into 3 phases of equal duration:
- Step 1- metabolic start, start of noticeable weight loss.
- Step 2- Continuation of the breakdown of fat reserves.
- Step 3- Preparing to return to a normal balanced diet.
When following a protein diet, it is very important to go through all 3 phases. This will ensure that the new weight is maintained after the end of the diet and that the yo-yo effect is prevented. By following these steps, the body will be ready to gradually return to a healthy, balanced diet. It is important to gradually increase the carbohydrate content of the menu so that the body gets used to them and learns to absorb them again.
The 3 steps that make up a protein diet for weight loss assume approximately the following meal calculation.
Step 1 - Fast Weight Loss:
- 5 protein meals / drinks a day;
- + up to 400 g permitted vegetables
- + healthy fats.
Step 2 - Weight Stabilization:
- 4 protein meals / drinks a day
- + ca. 500 g permitted vegetables and fruits;
- + healthy fats.
Step 3 - Return to a balanced diet:
- 2 protein meals / drinks a day
- + ca. 700 g permitted vegetables and fruits;
- + healthy fats.
Allowed and Prohibited Protein Diet Foods
Before you start cooking, let's look at what you can eat on a protein diet and what you'll have to give up.
Hang a clear list of foods, including allowed and forbidden foods for a protein diet, on the refrigerator. Do not use food that has no place in the diet when cooking.
What you can eat with a protein diet:
- lean meat
- smoked products (lean ham only)
- milk and products thereof (yoghurt, cheese, cottage cheese, butter, etc. )
- soy and its products (tofu, tempeh);
- most vegetables, some fruits;
- herbs and spices.
- special protein products (mixtures, chopsticks, cereals, cocktails).
Prohibited list of foods (the menu of protein foods for weight loss does not contain them at all):
- legumes and rice;
- fatty meats;
- sweet vegetables and fruits;
- fried foods;
- sweetened beverages;
How to choose a protein drink?
The weekly protein diet menu allows for protein drinks. They are not like special slimming cocktails. On the contrary, they are effective when combined with dietary restrictions and exercise. Moreover, they are much cheaper and even tastier.
You can drink non-flavored protein drinks. Different varieties are also available so that everyone can choose the right product (fruit flavor, chocolate, vanilla). The aroma should not affect the price of the drink.
How do I choose meat for a protein diet?
Meat is the main component of a protein diet. But that does not mean that a large number of different types of meat are allowed. It should be lean with no fatty parts.
The best choices for a protein diet menu are poultry, freshwater and saltwater fish. Lean beef, veal, lamb are suitable.
Protein (protein) diet allows the use of the following types of meat:
- fish (sea bass, salmon, trout, pike, eel, shark, cod, tuna).
The diet of protein foods for weight loss lacks sausages and similar products filled with fat, salt and preservatives. Only pure lean ham is allowed. Fish should always be fresh, not smoked, not canned.
Cooking is also important in a protein diet. Frying is undesirable. The meat is boiled or stewed. A good cooking option is barbecue. Not sure where to start? Try the salmon stew, the chicken breast stew and beef patties.
This is the next basic food on the protein diet for weight loss. You can prepare many dishes from eggs (scrambled eggs, fried eggs, soft-boiled eggs, hard-boiled).
Protein promotes fat loss and muscle gain. The plum contains important nutrients, iron, phosphorus, zinc, folic acid, vitamins A, B, D, E and K.
Milk and dairy products
The milk itself and dairy products are excellent sources of protein found in protein diet recipes. Do not use skim aqueous milk; go for high quality fatty foods. A little "extra" fat will not hurt you.
There are many dairy products to choose from for a weight loss diet every day. This will provide a variety of diet, food pleasure.
A protein diet can be enhanced with goat's milk and the following foods:
- fermented dairy products, mainly kefir;
- white yogurt;
- cottage cheese;
- various types of cheese;
Vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices
There is a risk of vitamin and mineral deficiencies while on a protein diet. Therefore, it is important to include enough vegetables in the diet. The most suitable vegetables have a low sugar content, while sweets (carrots, peas, kohlrabi, corn, beets) are included in the diet to a lesser extent or are completely absent. The same goes for sweet fruits.
Protein Weight Loss Diet can include the following high protein vegetables:
- celery stalks;
- green beans;
- tomatoes (only 1 per day)
- soy shoots.
The Protein Diet: Pros and Cons
There are many protein diet companies that offer imitation protein foods for a lot of money. These are instant products that the consumer does not need to cook. The powder can, for example, be used to make pasta-like dishes. But it has nothing to do with the dough, it is a protein mass.
If the protein principle of nutrition is followed for a short time (generally the protein diet is calculated for a week), it does not pose a danger to most healthy people. But there are no long-term scientific studies that support its overall effectiveness and safety.
What does a protein diet provide?
The main benefits of a protein diet:
- regular meals - divided into 5-6 daily meals;
- rapid weight loss due to removal of excess water from the body
- suppression of appetite (the result of increased protein intake)
- a sufficient amount of complete protein;
- to eat healthy food.
Injuries and Contraindications: Who Should Not Lose Weight on a Fast Protein Diet?
Each diet plan has its own characteristics and contraindications. The protein diet is no exception:
- a relatively monotonous menu - dishes are constantly repeated (in contrast, especially from a diet without protein for a week or 3 days);
- psychological effect - rejection of certain products requires a strong will;
- lack of essential nutrients due to lack of certain foods (especially fiber, vitamins and minerals, especially calcium);
- increased risk of kidney disease - excessive protein intake damages the kidneys and increases the risk of kidney failure;
- increased risk of colon cancer due to excessive meat consumption;
- increased risk of cardiovascular disease - diet plan associated with excessive intake of fat (especially animals) and cholesterol;
- high probability of jojo effect;
- with long-term adherence - the risk of developing arthritis (therefore, a protein diet menu for weight loss has not been developed for a week).
Serious contraindications to following a protein meal include:
- chronic liver and kidney disease
- insulin-dependent diabetes
- recent myocardial infarction;
- severe arrhythmias;
- pregnancy or lactation.
Relative contraindications (need for increased medical supervision) include arthritis, less severe arrhythmias.
Diet therapy can also be effective, but significant weight loss (over 10 kg) requires the supervision of a physician or an experienced nutritionist.
Protein Diet Menu # 1 for One Week (7 Days)
The biggest sticker in the protein diet for weight loss at home is the menu of the week. How to cook so that the relatively strict meal plan is not stereotyped? The daily alternation of small amounts of lean meat, eggs, milk and white yogurt is not a very appealing aspect.
Someone welcomes the menu to a week of protein diet for weight loss with recipes characterized by relative monotony. It gives the body everything it needs to lose weight without having to invent new meals. For other people, diversity is critical. The following detailed protein diet for the weight loss menu suits both categories of people.
- Breakfast: 2 eggs (fried eggs), cucumber.
- Afternoon snack # 1: cheesecake with nuts.
- Lunch: baked chicken with vegetables and cheese.
- Snack # 2: Yogurt Drink.
- Dinner: salad with goat cheese and walnuts.
- Breakfast: quality ham, eggs, vegetables.
- Snack No. 1: fat white yogurt, cashews.
- Lunch: baked duck breast with cabbage.
- Afternoon meal # 2: carrots with cottage cheese.
- Dinner: Greek salad.
- Breakfast: protein bar, cheese.
- Snack No. 1: ham roll with horseradish, cucumber.
- Breakfast: chicken breast with wine.
- Snack No. 2: celery with cheese.
- Dinner: Zucchini pasta with cheese and chicken.
- Breakfast: cheese, pepper.
- Snack No. 1: yogurt smoothie with vanilla.
- Lunch: broccoli pudding with cheese, vegetable salad.
- Snack No. 2: 2 eggs, tomato.
- Dinner: salad with smoked tempeh and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Breakfast: chia pudding with Dutch cocoa and banana.
- Snack No. 1: vegetable salad with cheese.
- Breakfast: turkey, cheese, pumpkin puree.
- Afternoon snack №2: cottage cheese, cucumber.
- Dinner: salad with avocado and nuts.
- Breakfast: ham, pepper.
- Snack No. 1: acidophilic milk.
- Lunch: meatballs with vegetable salad, mustard.
- Snack No. 2: flour-free nut cake.
- Dinner: salad with tuna, olives and onions.
- Breakfast: cheesecake with coconut.
- Snack No. 1: fat white yogurt with flaxseed.
- Breakfast: baked salmon, broccoli.
- Snack # 2: avocado, a handful of walnuts.
- Dinner: egg yolk with mozzarella, vegetable salad.
Fast protein diet for 3 days
A three-day meal plan is less varied than a weekly menu with the protein diet (for women, however, this is a plus as there is no need to prepare different dishes). It consists of a one-day menu, repeated over 3 days:
- Breakfast: cottage cheese with onions, tomato.
- Snack # 1: White Yogurt.
- Lunch: vegetables.
- Snack No. 2: 2 eggs.
- Dinner: fish fillet, vegetable salad.
How to prepare meals?
Vegetables can be eaten raw or cooked. Cooked or stewed vegetables are ideal. This allows you to make not only different salads with dressings of white yogurt, oil, vinegar, but also vegetable broth, thick soups (for example, Pho-bo soup, but without rice noodles).
Spices can be used in the usual way on a protein diet. Mustard, fresh onions and garlic should be used in limited quantities. All types of dried spices (including garlic and onions), lemon juice are allowed. The best option is fresh and dried herbs, which add food and aroma.
A great way to diversify your diet is to use a combination of fresh vegetables and boiled eggs. This will help prepare foods rich in protein, vitamins and minerals. Simply chop the vegetables and add the quarted hard-boiled egg. For flavors you can use oil, vinegar, herbs. This dish is great for dinner.
5 tips for cooking healthy eggs:
- The omelette is a good breakfast. You can add a piece of cheese, lean ham, vegetables, fresh herbs to it.
- Fried Eggs - The egg yolk should not be damaged when eggs are broken. Fry in oil for approx. 3 minutes.
- Soft-boiled eggs, boiled no longer than 5 minutes.
- Medium hard boiled eggs (boiled for about 7 minutes).
- Hard-boiled eggs (boiled for about 10 minutes).
When cooking according to the principles of a protein diet, you can follow these recipes.
Boiled salmon with courgette and eggplant
- salmon fillet;
- chicken broth;
Cut the courgette and eggplant into approximately equal cubes. Fry vegetables in butter, add fish pieces. Set with salt, pepper, sprinkle with basil. Pour half of the broth, let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Braised chicken breast with leeks
- chicken breast
- chicken broth;
- lemon juice;
Cut the peeled and washed leeks into thin wheels. Put in a saucepan, cover with broth. Add a small piece of butter, cook for approx. 10 minutes. Cut the chicken into slices, salt and pepper, add the leeks and cook for another 10 minutes. Then remove the meat on a plate. Reduce the amount of liquid in the leek to the required amount, and season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and marjoram.
Tips for Improving the Efficiency of a Protein Diet
A protein diet requires 3 basic conditions for proper functioning.
Their violation may lead to a slowdown or cessation of ketosis in the body:
- Drinking regime.Drink at least 2-3 liters of water without aroma, green or black tea without sugar daily. If you like coffee, drink it twice a day (Turkish or espresso) without milk and sugar. Decaffeinated coffee is also suitable.
- Vegetables.Eat at least 300-500 grams of permitted vegetables. They can be included in the main meal or used as a snack.
- Regular eating.Eat by the Hours - The protein diet for the weight loss menu for a week with recipes (for women and men) involves eating at intervals of approx. 3-4 hours. The first meal should take place within 30 minutes of waking, the last - no more than 2 hours before bedtime.
It is not recommended to stick to a protein meal for a long time - it will always negatively affect your health. Contact your dietitian before you start adhering.
Ending the diet
A protein diet can help you lose weight, but only for a healthy person with clear goals. Lack of carbohydrates is a huge burden on the body and requires it to provide other nutrients for satiety and energy. Once you have completed your meal plan, you need to very carefully switch to normal meals to avoid the yo-yo effect.
Return to regular food. Increase the amount of carbohydrates in the diet gradually, avoiding hidden sugars.
Protein Diet Ranking
The protein diet was popular in the 1970s and is again beginning to dominate the efficiency ranking (according to the Atkinson Nutrition Plan). Despite its prevalence, it is not suitable for long-term compliance. Before adjusting your diet, consult your doctor or dietitian.
Results and Feedback
The protein diet plan has both rave and negative reviews. Its supporters are predominantly men, especially athletes. It helps bodybuilders get rid of excess fat, build muscle mass. For "ordinary" people, this is a way to lose weight fast. Whether you belong to the 1st or 2nd group, you need to get enough information in advance, eat taking into account your state of health.